A bold cocktail to warm up mid-winter weekends
The newest addition to my digital cocktail library is a recipe I got my hands on at a Crate & Barrel x Western Living Magazine event event years ago. Amazing cocktails from restaurants around Vancouver were featured with perfectly paired bar tools and glassware. My obsession with the right glass for the type of drink might have began here… One cocktail in particular quickly became my signature drink at home for its velvety texture and uniquely bold flavour. It’s called The Four Horsemen, straight from the mixologists at Vij’s restaurant— one of my neighbourhood favourites! Mid-winter, this elegant cocktail is what I have been reaching for on cozy weekends in and it would also be perfect for a romantic Valentine’s dinner at home. Mix one up tonight, and I hope it becomes a favourite in your repertoire too.
The Four Horsemen
This recipe is exactly as Vij’s shared, with a few assembly notes of my own. Makes one cocktail.
- 1 1/2 ounces Makers 46 Kentucky Straight Bourbon
- 3/4 ounce Averna
- 1/4 ounce Giffard Apriocot Syrup
- 8 dashes Angostura Bitters
HOW – TO
- Combine all ingredients into a cocktail mixing glass with ice
- Stir until chilled and well mixed. To smooth out the flavour, stir for a minute or so until the ice adds a little water to the mixure
- Strain into a coupe style glass without ice
- Add garnish if desired, I like to use a dehydrated blood orange slice